What Is Astym?
Astym is a patented, non-invasive soft tissue technique that was researched and developed through a collaboration between large hospitals, major universities, and respected research institutions. Astym utilizes specially designed tools and soft tissue mobilizations to stimulate a regenerative process that encourages the resorption of scar tissue and the regeneration of damaged soft tissues. Astym is effective for treating scar tissue, tendinitis, sprains, lack of mobility, pain, and other soft tissue problems. Astym may look similar to other tool assisted soft tissue treatments, however Astym is a highly specialized treatment that can only be administered by a trained and certified provider.
The Benefits of Astym Therapy
The Regenerative Medicine of Therapy ™
• Astym treatment is safe and effective: Astym is one of the most researched and effective therapy treatments available. It is unmatched in its ability to resolve tendinopathies, scar tissue problems, and other soft tissue dysfunctions.
• Doctors regularly prescribe Astym treatment specifically for their patients, who often prefer Astym therapy to treat their condition rather than undergoing surgery, injections or other invasive treatments.
• Short treatment course: A typical course of treatment lasts only four to six weeks (8-10 visits).
• You get to stay active: During Astym therapy you are typically encouraged to continue most normal activities. Consult with your healthcare providers to find out exactly what is right for you.
• It really fixes the problem: Astym treatment doesn’t just treat the symptoms or hide a problem with a temporary solution. Instead, the Astym process stimulates the body to regenerate and remodel tissues. Response rates to Astym therapy are high, and most patients experience improvement.
• Certified providers: Only certified Astym therapists offer this therapy. These certified clinicians undergo intensive training to give you the results you expect from Astym treatment. All Astym-certified providers are listed under Find A Provider at
• Research: Astym treatment was researched and developed by a skilled team of medical professionals, scientists, universities, and large hospital systems and has consistently shown extraordinary clinical success.
What does receiving Astym treatment involve?
Instruments are run firmly along your skin, following the direction of the muscle, tendon or ligament. You will feel bumps as the instrument moves along your skin. These bumps indicate defective or damaged soft tissue. The first couple of treatments may range from being only slightly noticeable to mildly uncomfortable.
As your body heals, those bumps will decrease and the area around your injury will smooth out nicely, indicating healing. There also may be some mild bruising and soreness in the area being treated. That is one indication that the body is hard at work, absorbing the old dysfunctional tissue and laying down healthy new tissue. Most patients typically experience a decrease in pain with an increase in movement within the first 3-4 treatments.
Then you stretch and strengthen: It’s up to you to guide how your body heals. Your therapist will give you a customized stretching and strengthening program designed to encourage your body to maximize the strength and agility of soft tissue. Stretching tells the new fibers to line up properly, in nice parallel lines, and strengthening makes them stronger.